When it comes to making money online, affiliate marketing is considered as the best approach, that could be learned by anyone. It is one of those segments of online marketing, that doesn’t require any degree or formal schooling.
One of the common challenges faced by new affiliates is not knowing where to start. When you’re faced with the prospect of finding a niche, building a website, and driving traffic to it, all of that work can seem overwhelming and rewarding.
Want to know what affiliate marketing is and how to get started?
Keep reading to Learn everything about affiliate marketing and tips to get success in the same.
Today, In this guide I have outlined a few simple and essential tips to help you organize your thoughts and launch your affiliate marketing business the right way.
What is Affiliate Marketing?
A web based marketing process mostly using automated systems or specialized software in which a business rewards their affiliate for each visitor,customer or sale which is brought about as an outcome of the affiliate’s marketing efforts.
In most cases the reward is Monetary in the form of monthly commission. If your readers/traffic buys anything by clicking your affiliate link, you will get a commission.
Still Confused what affiliate marketing Is?
In Simpler words, Affiliate Marketing is the form of digital marketing wherein you refer someone to a product and when that person buys the product on your recommendation you receive a reward for that in the form of commission.
Affiliate Marketing Options:
There are two affiliate marketing options:-
1. Host an affiliate program: It refers to hosting an affiliate program on your website so others can join your affiliate networks and sell your products on their websites. They will earn a commission for each sale and you will sell more products through them.
This is the best solution for those who have a products to sell- imagine your products are advertised for free on thousands of websites across the globe.
2. Join an affiliate network: It means joining an affiliate network and sell others products on your website for which you will earn a commission on each sale. You pay nothing for that.
Hosting your own affiliate program has some challenges as it does requires some knowledge,maintenance and administration. You need to track referrals,sales,commissions and the data about each affiliate.
Common Terminologies Associated with Affiliate Marketing :
- Affiliates: Content creators and publishers like you and me who are using affiliate program links to promote and do sales.
- Affiliate marketplace: There are many marketplaces like Shareasale, Commisson junction, and Clickbank. These marketplaces work as central databases for affiliate programs in different niches.
- Affiliate software: Software employed by companies to make an affiliate program for their own product.
- Affiliate link: Special tracking link offered by your affiliate host to track the progress of your affiliate promotion.
- Affiliate ID: Identical to the affiliate link, but many affiliate programs offers a unique affiliate ID which you can add to any page of your site.
- Payment mode: Different affiliate programs offer different methods of payment.Example: Cheque, bank transfer, PayPal, and others.
- Affiliate Manager/OPM: Many companies have dedicated affiliate managers to assist publishers earn more by giving them optimization tips.
- Commission : The amount or percentage you will be receiving as an affiliate income from every sale.
- Custom coupons: Many programs allow affiliates to prepare custom coupons which will also work to track sales.
Here is how Affiliate Marketing works in 4 simple steps:
- You join an affiliate program
- You pick a product to promote
- You will get a unique affiliate link for that product
- You share the link through Social media, Blog, YouTube videos,Website or any other form
- When someone makes a purchase through your referral link, you earn an affiliate commission.
01 Online Shopper decides to buy an item
02 He/She lands on an affiliate site
03 Through affiliate link he/she is redirected to merchant site
04 The shopper finally makes the purchase and the merchant/host affiliate rewards the affiliate for his/her efforts.
Importance of Affiliate Marketing
Affiliate marketing is important because it is pretty easier than establishing your own company and creating your own products. Your products must be proven and tested to ensure quality and draw interest from buyers. It also demands more responsibilities than what is needed in affiliate marketing.
How to Start Affiliate Marketing for Beginners?
You can get started with Affiliate marketing in many ways.
Here are a few Steps to Get Started :-
- Start a blog Select a profitable industry and then pick a niche/topic for your blog.
- Choose the affiliate products that you want or can promote.
- Create content around those products drive traffic to your website/affiliate post.
- Use email-marketing strategies to get email of visitors.
- Focus on driving more traffic and repeating the process.
Tips to Consider for Driving Good Traffic :
1. Offer customers timely,relevant content and promote affiliate offers that will help customers solve a particular problem. This will make your site more valuable and ensure your customers come back to you.
2. Know the products you are promoting and do not offer customers too many things at once. You will attract quality traffic by providing fewer, more trustworthy recommendations.
3. Where possible work closely with the merchants you are promoting to figure out what works best for them. It is likely they will have insights that will help you and your campaigns.
4. Try different layouts and determine what works best and fine tune your campaign to maximize efficiency and profits.
Here are a few ways to find New Affiliate Programs:
- Affiliate Network and marketing platform: There are affiliate networks and marketplaces that would help you find new affiliate programs.
- Affiliatizer: This is a chrome extension that would assist you find the new affiliate program.
- Competitor analysis: Analyze the top websites in your targeted niche, and make a list of affiliate products they promote. This will help you find high value and profitable affiliate products.
Mistakes to Avoid in Affiliate Marketing :
1. Don’t sell or try to sell an unsalable product in greed of big commission.
2. Buying traffic that fails to convert into sales.
3. Advertising in wrong places
4. Selecting product not related to your niche or which are off topic.
Affiliate Marketing Success Tips:-
Tip #1: Focus on Gaining Your Visitors’ Trust
Today’s web users are savvy and a bit cynical. When they see an affiliate link, they know it means someone is trying to make money. And when they see that your site is a thin attempt at collecting quick commissions, they’ll move right along to another site. And that means you’ll miss out on commissions.
To overcome that challenge, it’s important to gain the trust of your audience. If you believe in the product you’re offering, and can convince your audience of your belief, you’ll succeed.
Do this by providing helpful, valuable and original content, content that’s good enough for your readers to share. If your readers are sharing your content and telling their friends, you know you’ve gained their trust.
Tip #2: Choose the Right Topic
Many beginners start by choosing the products with the highest amount of sales and commissions. Unfortunately, in this scenario, they rarely know much about the products they’re offering.
When you’re starting off, chose a niche you know about. You’ll find it easier to create content and engage your readers. If you’re an expert in babysitting or dog training, find an affiliate product that complements that subject. And then provide your readers with content that’s based on your expertise.
Tip #3: Be Transparent
As we mentioned earlier, people are savvy. And if you try to hide your status as an affiliate, they’ll see right through you. Make sure you tell your readers when you’ll be making a commission on the products your recommend. This will go a long way to earning their trust.
And in addition to your visitors, the U.S. Federal Trade Commission requires that affiliate disclose their status as an affiliate. Make sure you follow best practices in your affiliate disclosure statement.
Tip #4: Choose the Right Niche
While it’s important to choose the right niche, it’s also important to choose a niche that isn’t overcrowded. If every Google search related to your niche is returning pages and pages of affiliate websites, you might find it exceptionally hard to compete. When you’re choosing a niche, you’ll want to balance the need to find a niche that you know with a niche that isn’t overloaded with competition. (One of the best tools for understanding competition on the web is the Google Keyword Tool).
Tip #5: Be a Geek
While you want to know more about your niche than you know about web programming, a little knowledge never hurt anyone. Make sure you know enough about running your site so that you can be fresh, up-to-date, and responsive to fast-moving trends.
Tip #6: Stay Focused on Your Work
Regardless of what the gurus are telling you, affiliate marketing is not an easy get rich quick scheme. It requires focus, dedication … and a lot of work!
Be sure you stay focused on achieving results. Don’t let yourself get distracted or discouraged as you’re working to develop traffic to your site. And once you’ve got steady traffic coming in, don’t think that it’s time to go on autopilot. Keep working, and you’ll keep getting better results!
How much does it cost to join an affiliate program?
There is no charge for joining an affiliate program, however, your total cost depends on what promotion strategy you are using.
For example, a blog post doesn’t cost a penny, but Pay Per Click marketing, email marketing,comes with various price.
Affiliate marketing and AdSense: Can we use both?
Yes, you can use both as affiliate marketing does not violate any AdSense Terms Of Service. In fact, according to me, affiliate marketing works better than Adsense.
Affiliate marketing is one of the oldest and effective method of making money through your blog or website. Success in Affiliate marketing as with anything else requires patience and a continued effort to learn and adapt to what works
Affiliate marketing is not a get rich quick scheme you need to have patience and dedication but considering the opportunities it can bring to you is worth the time and effort. It’s the best way to generate income.
If you found this guide helpful do share it with your friends and within your contacts.