WordPress being a PHP and database-based CMS which is most often targeted by hackers. However, there are many WordPress plugins out there that are useful in preventing WordPress hacking.
Therefore, I have created a list of the Best WordPress Security Plugins which will assist you protect your blog from hackers.
This blog focuses on the best security plugins that your WordPress blog website should have to prevent hacking or spamming activities and improve the security system.
Why Use a WordPress Security Plugin?
There are around 18.5 Million websites infected with malware at any given time each week. An average website is attacked 44 times every day, which includes both WordPress and non-WordPress websites.
A security breach on your website can cause some serious damage.
- Hackers can steal your data or the info belonging to your users and customers
- A compromised website can be used to distribute malicious code to unsuspecting users and other websites.
- You can lose data, lose access to your website, get logged out, or your data might be destroyed.
- Your website can be destroyed or defaced, which can affect your SEO rankings and brand reputation.
Best WordPress Security Plugins:
Sucuri is the leader in WordPress security. It is among the best WordPress security plugins on the market. They provide a basic free Sucuri Security plugin which helps you harden WordPress security and scan your website for common threats.
Features of the plugin:
- Security Activity Auditing
- File Integrity Monitoring
- Remote Malware Scanning
- Blacklist Monitoring
- Effective Security Hardening
- Post-Hack Security Actions
- Security Notifications
- Website Firewall (premium)
But the real value is in the paid plans, which accompanies the best WordPress firewall protection. A firewall helps you block brute force and malicious attacks from accessing WordPress.
Sucuri website firewall filters out bad traffic even before it reaches your server. They also serve static content from their own CDN servers.
Apart from security, their DNS level firewall with CDN gives you a tremendous performance boost and accelerates your website.
2. SecuPress Free WordPress Security
It protect your wordpress with malware scans,block bots & suspicious IPs. After installing SecuPress plugin it will allow you to run the security scanner and generates security report for your Website.
They also offer a proffesional version it is the paid version with enhanced security and it takes care of everything with automated tasks.
Most popular features that make SecuPress stand apart are :
- Anti Brute Force login
- Blocked IPs
- Block country by geolocation
- Security alerts
- Block visits from Bad Bots
- Vulnerable Plugins and Themes detection
Everything is shown in comprehensive way. You can click on any module and edit them to make your WordPress Website anti-hack.
This is the most user friendly security plugin for WordPress.
3. Jetpack Security
If you have been using wordpress for a while you must be aware or heard of Jetpack Security plugin. It is the multi-purpose WordPress plugin by the same team who manages WordPress.
It gives you the features you require to design,secure and grow your site.These features includes customized WordPress themes,automatic social media publication as well as malware and spam protection.
It has two plans
- Basic protection which is free version with limited security
- Premium version which add expanded backup and automated fixes.
Here are some of those features :
- Brute force attack protection, spam filtering,and downtime monitoring.
- Secure login with optional two-factor authentication
- Record of every change on your site to simplify troubleshooting
- Peak performance and Expert support from WordPress experts
The daily automated scanning ensure that your WordPress files are clean from any infected codes. It is one of the best WordPress plugins.
4. BBQ : Block Bad Queries
BBQ is a simple, super-fast plugin that protects your site against malicious URL requests.BBQ checks the all incoming traffic and blocks bad requests containing nasty stuff and excessively long request-strings.
This is an easy yet solid solution for sites that are unable to use strong.htaccess firewall.
Amazing Features of BBQ are :
- 100% plug-n-play functionality
- No configuration required
- 100% focused on security and performance
- Blocks directory traversal attacks
- Blocks SQL injection attacks
This is a very simple plug-n-play plugin my suggestion is to use it with Cloudflare to make the most out of it.
5. iThemes Security Pro
iThemes claimed to be a trusted WordPress security plugin.It gives you over 30+ ways to secure and protect your WordPress site. This plugin offers a comprehensive security dashboard to monitor your WordPress website security.
Features of iThemes :
- One-click “Secure Site” WordPress security check
- Ban bad users and I.P
- Rename admin account
- Logs of security
- Two factor authentication
- Brute force protection
- File permission and integrity check
- Get a notification when a file is upload
This is an awesome plugin everything is taken into consideration. If you don’t need a firewall then this is the only plugin you need.
Which WordPress security plugin is best for you?
You should pick one based on the hosting, architect, themes and threat level to your site. The basic essential security is recommended for every Website.
FAQs related to WordPress security plugins :
- Do I require a Security Plugin ?
If you are using a shared hosting like Bluegeek, Hostgator it is recommended to use security plugin. In some cases if your site is under attack then it can prevent your site from attack.
- Which is the best security plugin for Beginners ?
Secupress is the best plugin for Beginners.
If you found this article valuable don’t forget to share this.
Recommended post for you :