Are you looking for easy, step-by-step guide on how to start a blog?
If yes, then this post will help you to do so.
What is a blog?
In short, a blog is a sort of website that focuses mainly on written content, also referred as blog posts.
In popular culture we most frequently hear about news blogs or celebrity blog sites, but as you’ll see in this guide, you can start a successful blog on any topic.
Starting a blog is not complicated at all but all you need some guidance which helps you to start a blog.
So why would you start a blog?
There are so many benefits if you start your blog and grow it, Here are some Benefits of blogging :
- Make money from home-Blogging are often quite lucrative if done correctly. The top bloggers in the world obviously earn quite a bit, but even a part-time blogger can expect to form a pleasant amount if things are done correctly. The best part about it is that blogging is a sort of passive income, since you can spend just a couple of hours a week writing a blog post and then continue to make money from it long after the blog post is written.
- Share your story- A blog allows you to possess a voice and be heard. You can share your story with the whole world if you so choose. One of the most common ways blogs are used are as a diary where the blogger writes about their daily experiences so that friends, family, and others can all be a part of their lives.
- Find a community- Blogging at its heart is interactive. You write a blog post and other people share their opinion on it. This is a great way to connect with people that have an interest in the same things as you are. Blogging allows you to teach these people based on your experience, and it gives you the opportunity to learn from your readers as well.
How to Start a Blog in 6 Steps
Step 1: Pick a blog name
The first step is to find a good blog name is choosing your topic.
A good blog name should be descriptive so that potential readers can instantly tell what your blog is about just from the name.
If you are blogging about one specific topic then you will definitely want to incorporate that in some way in your blog name. Try to not get hung-up on just one word though. For example, a cooking blog doesn’t necessarily have the word “cooking” in it. The words “food”, “recipes”, and “meals” would also let people know that your blog is about cooking.
If you’re not sure what to blog about, there are a couple of ways to find out good blog topic :
- Hobbies & passions- Hobbies or other interests you are passionate about are a great place to start out. Cooking, travel, fashion, sports, and cars are all classic examples.
- Life experiences- Everyone has lessons they learned through life experience. Sharing this knowledge can be incredibly helpful to others in similar situations.
- A personal blog- A private/personal blog is a blog all about you. This will include a variety of topics, from things you do on a daily basis, to random thoughts and musings. This is a great way to share your thoughts with the world without having to stick to just one topic.
So, How you can find a perfect name for your blog
You have to focus on these two factors to find out the perfect name for your blog.
- See that you make money from that
- Is that name have good volume of keywords or not?
- Are you interested to work on that name/niche?
- Can you solve others problem with your writting on that niche/name?
Step 2: Good Domain for Your Blog
Selecting the website domain is not very tough and you can easily select a perfect domain name for your new blog.
If you decided your domain name so you can skip this.
Here are 3 tips which help you to find your domain –
- Keep it Short & Simple – Try to keep your domain as short don’t make it too long because it’s difficult to pronounce and try to keep your domain name simple because it’s easy to remember like Techno-Amnj
- Use Keyword – You can use your main keyword in your domain which helps you in SEO.
- Don’t Use Numbers– You can’t use numbers in your domain because it’s difficult to remember the numbers.
If you can’t figure out the domain name for you after the tips so you can find domain name by using LeanDomainSearch and many other tools.
Step 3: Choose a Hosting For Your Blog
For starting a blog you need to have web-hosting and domain.
The domain name is the name of the website which readers types in the browser. Like www.techno-amnj.in
A web hosting is a place where your all files of your blog are stored.
Now, you may have the question which hosting is best for you?
SiteGround is the best hosting for beginners and there support and service are great and very reliable, It’s also not very costly like other hosting.
Steps to purchase hosting and domain for your first Blog –
1. Click On This Special Link to start your first blog.
I recommend you to go with a startup plan because it has more features.
2. Choose Your Domain
Pick your domain name which is easy to understand.
Example if you planned to open food blog and you decide the blog name as food bazar so you can go with foodbazar.com.
You have to fill your information for your account.
4. Enter Your Credit/Debit Card Information
You have to fill your credit/debit card details to purchase domain and hosting
5. Confirm The Conditions And Let Get Started
You have to confirm there terms and conditions,
After that, you have to click on the check-out button. It will take a few minutes to the SiteGround to proceed with the details.
Step 4: Set up your WordPress blog
Here in this part I will show how you can set up your WordPress site to make it live on the web.
Firstly, you have to go to your siteground account, If you already purchased it so you can see the similar interface after login to your account:
You have to select the start of a website option to make a brand new website.
Then, you have to click on the WordPress which you want need to install.
Click on the WordPress software to install to your website. After that you have to fill some login details about your website:
This information is really important so I recommend you to make a note of the same.
After filling out all the information,
Then you have to click on the complete button to proceed with the process.
It will take a few minutes to finish setting up your WordPress website.
Now, click on the proceed button to go on customer area:
Now, click on my account button on the menu and click on the installation tab:
Now, click on the Go to Admin Panel to visit your new blog admin dashboard.
Now, you will redirect to your WordPress dashboard after that enter your login details which you choose during the installation and click on the login button
That’s it you just complete the setup for your first WordPress website, remember this a mail will also be sent for the same at your mail address.
Step 5: Choose an Attractive Theme
After installing wordpress the next important step is to install attractive themes.
In blogging, designing the blog matters because if you don’t have a great design so you are losing a lot of traffic and audience. Good design helps to build more trust towards your readers.
In your wordpress inventory, there are lot of free themes that are available for you but I don’t recommend you to go with that themes because these free themes are easy to hack and by this, you will lose your all website data.
If you want to do blogging as a business so invest in themes and plugins because of this the best investment on your blogging journey. I see many bloggers don’t invest in this type of thing and face many critical issues later.
So which theme is best for you?
I use GeneratePress which is the lightest theme (under 50KB) and loads your website fast and also I liked the design of this theme and many pro bloggers are using it because it’s easy to design.
There are a few more themes which I can suggest you but before that let me tell you the Few things which you keep in your mind while purchasing a theme –
- Make sure that premium themes which you are purchasing are lightweight and easy to use.
- Check that the theme is compatible with your latest wordpress version.
- Always check that the is must be responsive.
Some of my Recomendations :
Astra Pro – Astra Pro is lightweight and easy to customize the theme. This theme is like a Generatepress but they have a lot of features which is not available in generatepress and You can make your homepage attractive and responsive too using elementor with that.
GeneratePress – GeneratePress is the theme that I also like and for me, it’s work good so far because this theme is easy to customize so anyone newbie can customize it. The support of this theme is amazing. If I want to choose themes from all above I choose generatepress because of their stunning looks.
After picking theme now it’s time to install that theme on your blog.
For installing any WordPress theme on your blog just follow these below steps:-
First of all, you should be logged on your wordpress dashboard ➡ appearance ➡ themes
1. In the themes section, you will find various free themes but if you already have so click on the add new button.
2. Click on the upload theme and upload your theme zip and activate that theme on your blog.
Finally, you installed and activated your preferred theme into your blog. Installing a theme is an easy task but the main and important task is to customize that theme.
So if you want to customize your theme so click on appearance ➡ customizes and now you can able to customize your theme.
Step 6: Some Essential Plugins for WordPress
WordPress without plugins is nothing because plugins are necessary to (Optimize your content, for SEO, Speed and many more). There are lots of plugins on wordpress but there are some plugins that I am currently using and making such things on autopilot.
Want to know the list of my favorite plugin?
So, here is the list of my plugins which I am personally using almost in all my website –
Elementor or Thrive Architect – These are the page builders for designing any page. These plugins allow you to create your dream landing page by just drag and drop. I use both and they are very lightweight to use and helps me to create a stunning page.
Rank Mathe SEO – SEO is important to rank and drive a lot of traffic. Rank math is the new SEO plugin that becomes a favorite for every blogger now.
WP Rocket – You already know that speed is one factor to rank on google. So wp rocket is the plugin which helps you to optimize your full website and make it faster. I strongly recommend you to buy this plugin. If you are looking for the alternative of this so you can go with autoptimize.
iThemes Security – Security is the no.1 priority, Many times somebody tries to hack your website so this plugin helps you to secure your entire website. Using the security plugin is essential to keep your blog safe.
UpdraftPlus – Backup of your website is necessary although your siteground keeps website backup daily. But for more security, I use this plugin to backup my website daily. This plugin helps you to backup your full website and you can restore that data whenever you need it.
Social Snap Pro – Social snap is a social sharing plugin, I like this plugin so much because they help to drive traffic from mediums like – Facebook, Twitter and many more platforms.
These are the top plugins which I almost used in my all website to run them properly.
Some Ways to Make Money Online(Bonus Tip):-
This is the bonus part for you all where I shared some ways which help you to make money from your blog.
There are several ways with which you can use to make money from your blog.
In this part, we will discuss some ways which you can use to make handsome money from your blog :
Affiliate Marketing: This is one of the awesome methods for making money online. In this, you have to promote other products on your blog and if you get a sale of that product so then you will get a commission from the product owner.
Advertising on your blog: Most of the common ways every blogger uses this to monetize their traffic and make money out of it. Many bloggers are using it and making a decent amount of money.
Two main websites – Adsense and Media.net, You can apply to there program and make money from there.
Selling your own course or product: If you know how to sell anything so you can create your course and sell to your readers but before that, you have to build trust towards your audience.
FAQ’s On How To Start a Blog
1. How much does it cost to Start a Blog?
For starting a blog it cost you around 3.50$ a month from the siteground but I recommend you to go with one year plan to get a special discount.
2. How to start a blog and get paid?
In this guide, we already tell you how to start a blog in 2020 and for getting paid from your new website you can use Google Adsense, Affiliate marketing and many more earning methods.
3. I started my blog but how can I get traffic?
Traffic works like a motivation for newbie bloggers so if you are confused about how you can get traffic.